Depending on the nature of business, size, and structure, every organization needs a customized security program that fits its operations. The program’s requirements can be the compulsory usage of tags/badges by staff or CCTV cameras’ availability in the premises’ strategic parts. It is a wonder that no one is talking about how these security requirements, either light or strict, affects the workplace negatively and positively;
- Access Control: One positive influence of workplace security requirements is in the fact that workers and clients have controlled access in the organization building. Stricter security programs are designed in such a way that staff and clients/visitors are cleared on where and what they have access to in the premises. When access is controlled, staff are free and clear to carry out their tasks without hindrances or delay while visitors are also able to sort their business in the premises as quick as possible
- Feeling of Being Monitored: One of the downsides of most security requirements is that both staff and clients are affected. Common for organizations that use CCTVs and those that station guards in strategic parts of the premises. When an individual feels monitored, there are high tendencies of such an individual not being able to attain full self-expression. Ultimately, the performances of staff in this category are prone to be negative.
- Feeling of Safety: Here is one positive effect of most security requirements. When staff trust the security measures in place and are allowed periodic training on functions, changes, and updates, they will develop a sense of liberty and are prone to work effectively.
- Fear: Here is another downside of most security requirements of organizations. For instance, most high-risk organizations like National Banks, Embassies, etc., require measures as high as having security dogs or gun carrying guards. Some humans naturally fear the sight of scary dogs and guns. These categories of staff are compelled to work under fear which is harmful to productivity.
- Customers’ Trust: It might sound funny and strange but visitors are prone to patronize businesses that make use of standard security measures. Hence, the stricter your security measures and requirements, the more you are likely to easily gain customer’s trust. I’m sure you are very aware of what customer’s trust means for your business bank account.
Continue in part 2